Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The not-so-grammar queen

























While catching up on blog reading during my lunch break, I found a quirky post on grammar and the do's and dont's that relate to it.

Here are a few things I've learned over the past 4 years:


  1.  Loose and lose are not the same thing. Not even close.
  2. Funner and funnest are real words! Not just because I am typing them, but because they fit the rule of a 3 letter word that can be added the er or the est at the end of it.
  3. Literally. Most things aren't actually literally true. "I was literally dying with laughter." Probably not


The blog led to an article titled 20 Common Grammar Mistaken. This article has found a place close to my heart. People seem to forget that in order to communicate, and properly at that, you need to either; verbally speak, sign(asl) or write, and a simple comma can make a world of a difference. I never really paid close attention to grammar until my junior and senior year in college. I decided on being an English major and what I wrote had to make sense. I had the hardest time figuring out where comma's were supposed to go, so I placed them everywhere and had Erick take out the ones that weren't necessary. Still haven't mastered it but getting close!
 
 
best part of the article you ask?

It reminded me of the show, The Big Bang Theory.

i.e.  Nauseous
 
Undoubtedly the most common mistake I encounter. Contrary to almost ubiquitous misuse, to be “nauseous” doesn’t mean you’ve been sickened: it actually means you possess the ability to produce nausea in others. e.g., That week-old hot dog is nauseous. When you find yourself disgusted or made ill by a nauseating agent, you are actually “nauseated.” e.g., I was nauseated after falling into that dumpster behind the Planned Parenthood. Stop embarrassing yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment