Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Iowagirleats: cheesy broccoli orzo

With our crazy, hectic and somewhat school driven lives taking over, Erick and I haven't been able to keep up with our daily lunches. With so much going on at work and the university growing so quickly(over 2,700 new students this semester)I have been forced to start eating at my desk while my eyes are glued to the computer screen. Who would have known that as I got older, I would have become my father. Sometimes I worry that I take work too seriously and don't enjoy life too much. But today, all that is about to change! Instead of going from having lunch every day together to never having lunch together, Erick and I have finagled our ways to establish Friday lunches!

I told him I would be in charge of lunch today so I knew I had to go through my trusty list of food blogger and find something that was easy, delicious and could travel well. I love Iowa Girl Eats and all of her no fuss recipes. Her food is to the point, healthy and very tasty! I would definitely recommend everyone stop by her blog, you wont be disappointed.

I found her Cheesy Broccoli Orzo recipe and new it would be a hit.

Cheesy Broccoli Orzo

Serves 3-4
Ingredients:
1 cup orzo
1-1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4-1/2 cup 2% milk
salt
Directions:
Add orzo to a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes then add chopped broccoli and cook for 2 more minutes, or until orzo is tender. Drain well (broccoli florets are notorious for holding onto water) then return to the pot. Add cheeses, butter, and 1/4 cup milk then stir well and add more milk if needed. Season with salt to taste.



With all the ingredients waiting for me at home, I was excited to dash out of the office and get to it. All the photo's are courtesy of Iowa Girl Eat's post regarding her cheesy broccoli orzo. She is a much better food photographer than I ever hope I can be. I often find that the more pictures a recipe has the easier it is for me NOT to mess up.

 
 
Once the water comes to a boil, I added a little bit of salt to the water and added a cup and a half of the orzo pasta. Next time, I plan to add a lot more orzo since, my dad and Luis gobbled down all the left overs really quickly!

 
After the orzo has been cooking for a little while, add as much broccoli as you want. the recipe calls for a cup and a half but I added a lot more. I also made sure to cut the broccoli into smaller pieces since I was afraid the broccoli would be too big compared to the tiny pasta.

 
After i drained the pasta and broccoli mixture, I returned it to the pan to add the final ingredient.



Unfortunately, I didn't have 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, so I added more grated sharp Cheddar. stir everything well to make sure all ingredients are well incorporated and add seasoning to taste.


 Disclaimer: this recipe, pictures and idea all below to the Iowa Girl Eats blog. All credit is given to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment