Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic Fever


                                                 I am obsession with the Olympics! 

Boy, am I excited for the following two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell with my countless exclamation points?  I even had a mild panic attack at work on Friday when I realized I couldn’t live stream the opening ceremony. To my surprise not even if you had the LiveExtra Olympic App could you watch it live. Damn NBC and their two hour delay.

When I got home, I coerced Erick to let me watch unlimited hours of the Olympics without him complaining at the expense of going put for a little later that night. According to Erick, we ( and by that he means me) have been taking ‘saving money’ a little too seriously. I don’t think we have gone out with other people for the past 3 weeks :s

During the ceremony and all throughout Saturday, Erick kept asking me random questions about the Olympics. You would assume that with my strange and yet amusing and unhealthy obsession to the event that I would be well versed in all things Olympics. Unfortunately, some of the questions he asked really through me off my game. So I put on my Olympic detective hat and goggled!  

Question 1: how did the Olympic starts?

According to historical records, the first ancient Olympic Games can be traced back to 776 BC (that’s too long to count). Around 393 A.D. they were banned by Emperor Theodosius due to their pagan cult tendencies.

Only free male Greek citizens were able to participate, regardless of their social status.  Married women were not allowed to participate in, or to watch, the ancient Olympic Games. However, unmarried women could attend the competition, and the priestess of Demeter, goddess of fertility, was given a privileged position next to the Stadium altar.

Question  2 started off with Erick taunting me and asking me to name the colors of the Olympic rings and in order. So…


Question 2: what are the colors and meaning of the Olympic rings?

The symbol of the Olympic Games is composed of five interlocking rings, colored blue, yellow, black, green, and red on a white field. The ring colors stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags that competed in the Olympic Games at that time.

 "...the six colors [including the flag’s white background] thus combined reproduce the colors              of all the nations, with no exception. The blue and yellow of Sweden, the blue and white of Greece, the tri- colors of France, England and America, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Hungary, the yellow and red of Spain next to the novelties of Brazil or Australia, with old Japan and new China. Here is truly an international symbol."



Question 3: I want to become Olympic flame transporter/holder/human participant, how does it work? (I asked this question J )

The modern tradition of moving the Olympic Flame via a relay system from Greece to the Olympic venue began with the Berlin Games in 1936. Months before the Games are held, the Olympic Flame is lit on a torch, with the rays of the Sun concentrated by a parabolic reflector, at the site of the Ancient Olympics in Olympia, Greece. The torch is then taken out of Greece, most often to be taken around the country or continent where the Games are held.
 

He didn’t ask a Question 4 but I found the information interesting and wanted to share:


The Olympic motto is the hendiatris Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for "Faster, Higher, Stronger". The motto was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin on the creation of the International Olympic Committee in 1894


In case you were curious J

Summer Olympics for 2016: Brazil (same location for the soccer world cup)

Summer 2020: Madrid, Spain

Summer 2024: potential bids from: Morocco, South Africa, Egypt,  Taipei,  Malaysia, India, Qatar, Dubai, Azerbaijan Denmark/Sweden, Poland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Russia, Ukraine, Estonia, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Peru, Australia, and the  USA( Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Tulsa)


No comments:

Post a Comment