Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Caramel drizzle

I am excited to share with you that I have accomplished a silly long time goal of mine today!!!!

Since I was in middle school, I have always been addicted to coffee, thus the wonderful name of this blog: coffee and sunflowers - sunflowers being one of my favorite flowers, they have power to make any day better with its bright summery colors and large blooms, but that's a story for another day, so back to coffee.

It was so serendipitous that I could hardly believe that it was happening to me. Part of my morning routine is that when 10 o’clock in the morning rolls around, I make my way to the cafĂ© on the second floor of our building. The ladies who work at there have become a second work family. We stop there for coffee in the morning, soups for lunch (they have the most delicious Italian wedding soup and chicken wild rice) and then when our days a little more than we expected, another cup of coffee to pick us up.

I had been trying to convince them to let me behind their counters and give making my cup of coffee a shot for almost a year. They had always told me that during the off season if I really wanted to, that if I asked nicely and there weren’t many people around, that maybe, just maybe, they would allow me. Well folks, today was the day!!!!!!

Stephanie (my coffee partner in crime) was running late so I already had my Grande extra hot nonfat latte and was simply waiting for her to arrive to place her order, when I got the perfect idea. Sometimes I can’t help myself, like when I am heating up my food and there is really good music playing and I get the urge to dance( in public). Don’t get any ideas, it’s not like I’m breaking it down or pretending I’m in an episode of So You Think You Can Dance, it’s more like an enthusiastic wiggle. Erick likes to pretend he hates it or that he is embarrassed but I know he secretly wishes he would wiggle in public. I know I know, I am getting way of track so back to the story we go.

The whole point is that they said yes! I was finally allowed to go back there and get a shot at playing barista for a whopping 5 minutes and make Stephanie’s coffee. I forgot my phone so I had Stephanie take some pictures. They aren’t the best and I have horrible, simply the worst posture ever in these pictures so I apologize beforehand. You  would imagine that these people had some faith in me making a simple cup of coffee but they weren’t. In one of the picture you could actually see the fear in their faces that I might either burn the place down or kill Stephanie will the cup of coffee. Stephanie on the other hand wasn’t too excited with the amount of caramel I added to her Whole Milk Caramel Macchiato. I don’t drink anything with caramel or other flavorings but I thought the best part of a caramel macchiato was supposed to be the caramel? You would assume so, but according to Stephanie there is such a thing as too much caramel drizzle. There is never such a thing as too much chocolate so I thought the same thing went for caramel. If you disagree, I am more than happy to inform her and defend the caramel drizzle.

Please enjoy the process of making Stephanie's coffee


place the cup on the mark so that the espresso shot doesn't miss


add 6 packets of sugar(Stephanie likes it sweet) and the caramel syrup

smile!

mix and pour steamed and frothy whole milk

make a cute design with the caramel drizzle

"have a great day" with my favorite Barista: Shelly


I didnt want to leave so I made a Passion Tea Lemonade for a customer

Update: Stephanie’s coffee was perfect and no one died because I was behind the counter. This means, I can still go get coffee there every day and if I ever want own my own Starbucks, I now have the experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment