Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Scones and more

Yesterday’s plans were a bit derailed but my night ended up better than I could have imaged!

I had planned on attending a spinning class.  Unfortunately, when I got there, I realized I didn’t have my id with me and by the time they verified I wasn’t an imposter, the spinning class was booked and it had already started L

On a positive note: I found my id at work this morning!

Since it was too hot to go for a run outside at 5pm, I decided to flip my schedule around and baked first instead.

Skinny Chocolate Almond Scones

Buttermilk scones sweetened just to perfection studded with chocolate chips. Kind of like eating a giant chocolate chip cookie for breakfast... without the guilt.

the final product


The original recipe comes from Skinny Taste, you can find it here

Ingredients:

·         3/4 cup cold buttermilk
·         1/4 cup sugar
·         2 tsp vanilla extract
·         1 large egg
·         1 cup all purpose flour (Bob's Red Mill)
·         1 cup white whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
·         1 tbsp baking powder
·         1/2 tsp salt
·         3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
·         3/4 cup chocolate chips
·         cooking spray
·         1 large egg white, lightly beaten
·         1 1/2 tbsp sugar

I made a few alterations since I didn’t have all the ingredients at home and I wasn’t going to go shopping just for buttermilk.

·         If you add a tablespoon of either vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk and you wait about 10 minutes, you can actually make your own buttermilk.
·          I also didn’t have white whole wheat flour so I doubled up on my all-purpose flour. Since I was
·         I only half a cup of chocolate chips so I added a handful of almond slivers
·         I used almond extract instead of vanilla


the ingredients I used

home made buttermilk using regular milk and lemon juice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°. Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist.

Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands. Form dough into an 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Using a knife, cut dough into as many wedges as you want but make sure you cut all the way through.


as it was going into the oven

the scones are ready to cool and recut if necessary

the final product before they are placed in a gift box


Running

I was feeling pretty great yesterday after all that baking, cooking and of course Olympic trial watching.  By the time everything was put away it was 9:30pm and I was afraid that my body wasn’t going to be up for a run even if it was just a mile.

But, boy was I wrong. I started at my regular pace listening to my crazy Hispanic music courtesy of Pandora and before I knew it, I had passed the one mile marker and wasn’t tired. I pushed it for as long as I could and ended up running 1.75 miles.  That’s the longest I have ever been able to run without stopping. I am super proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment