Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Granola two ways

I was a little disappointed yesterday when I went to the grocery store to pick up some crunchy and hopefully healthy granola to accompany the two containers of Fage Greek Yogurt 0% which I bought on Sunday. I love Fage’s Plain Greek Yogurt although their split cup with honey is my ultimate favorite. Erick on the other hand not so much since its way more tart than most greek yogurts on the market. He wants to give Chobani a chance.  

A quick and interesting fact about greek yogurt if you haven’t tried it:

It takes approximately four pounds of raw milk to make one pound of Fage. Crazy huh?


Every bag of granola I found at the grocery store had too many ingredients or was sweetened with way too many different types of juices. I just wanted your run of the mill normal granola. Is that too much to ask for?

 Instead of leaving the store empty-handed, I decided to buy a large container of old fashion oats and make my own from starch. That way I know exactly what goes into them and can control the amount of sugar. The results were amazing!

 I calculated the nutritional information to the best of my abilities just to have an idea of what I was eating. Fair warning: I am not a nutritionist nor a mathematician so don’t hate me if it’s a few more calories, but please feel free to love me if it has less calories than I let on.


I first made a Peanut Butter Granola from a recipe I found on Julies blog pbfingers and it only required 4 ingredients which I already had at home. No fuss recipe = good time in the kitchen!

Her original recipe made 4 servings of the granola but since I was going to share mine, I decided to double it up. Here is the modified recipe


Peanut Butter Granola

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of oats
  • 4 table spoons of honey
  • 4 table spoons of smooth peanut butter
  • 2 table spoons of vanilla extract

Directions:
  • Turn oven to 325 degrees.
  • In a small microwaveable container place the honey and peanut butter.
  • Heat up the mixture for about 30 seconds to a minute, stirring occasionally so you don’t burn the mixture and it doesn’t bubble up.
  • Once the mixture is smooth and warm, add the 2 table spoons of vanilla extract and mix well.
  • Add the mixture to the oats and combine well.
  • Spread the oats evenly on an oiled baking sheet and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
  • It is important to stir the mixture half way through to ensure it bakes well.
  • Take out of the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.
 

Nutritional Info:
This makes 8 servings (roughly 2 or 3 table spoons)
  • 130 calories
  • 2.5 grams of fiber
  • 4.25 grams of protein
  • 20 carbs

Helpful hints

When adding the mixture to the oats use your hands to incorporate it all together. I used a spoon but half way through had to change to my hands since the spoon wasn’t cutting it for me.

The oats will continue to crunch up even after you take the out of the over so don’t worry too much if they don’t look perfectly ready when you take them out.

the warm peanut butter/honey mixture


peanut butter granola before it went into the oven



The second batch of granola I made came from my imagination.


Vanilla Protein Granola

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of oats
  • ¼ cup of sunflower seeds
  • 2 table spoons of honey
  • 2 table spoons of canola oil
  • 2 scoops of whey vanilla protein powder


Directions
  • Turn oven to 325 degrees.
  • Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  • Spread the oats evenly on an oiled baking sheet and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
  • It is important to stir the mixture half way through to ensure it bakes well.
  • Take out of the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.


Nutritional Info:
This makes 8 servings (roughly 2 or 3 table spoons)
  • 125 calories
  • 2 grams of fiber
  • 9 grams of protein
  • 19 carbs

Helpful hints

This is a no fuss granola recipe and can take any other ingredient you would like such as coconut, mini chocolate chips, raisins, or other dried fruit.

If you are going to add dried fruit or chocolate, I would recommend adding it at the end of the baking process when there is less than 5 minutes left of cooking. You don’t want to kill the fruit or have the chocolate melt all over the place- unless that’s the feel you were going for!

Vanilla Protein Granola right out of the oven!


I used the Vanilla Protein granola in my breakfast this morning. I had a yogurt bowl with Fage 0%, fresh mango's(thank you Miami mango season and my neighbor for the mango's) and a serving of the granola. It was a perfect Miami summer breakfast if I don’t say so myself!

sweet, crunchy, YUM :)



No comments:

Post a Comment